How Kinesio Taping works for Sports
When a muscle is swollen, the area between the skin and the muscle is compressed, which constricts the flow of lymphatic fluid. This results in discomfort and pain. Kinesio Tex, when applied in conjunction with the correct application method, will lift the skin to ease the pain and absorb inflammation of the muscle. In addition it will raise the area between the skin and the muscles to enhance circulation and lymphatic drainage. Stretching the skin and muscles before tape application is essential, due to the wrinkling effect that occurs when the skin is taped and in normal position.
As the body moves, the tape will function as a pump, continually stimulating lymphatic circulation. As the technique relieves localised pressure on pain receptors, muscle pain should be reduced.
Kinesio Tex Taping can aid sports injuries by;
- Relieving pain
- Supporting muscles in movement
- Removing lymphatic fluid congestion
- Correcting joint mis-alignment
- Assisting in positioning a muscle or joint into proper position for rehabilitation
- Assisting a weak muscle by placing it in a normal position
- Improving kinesthetic awareness of posture and alignment
Originally developed in Japan to give assistance to weak muscles, Kinesio Taping® techniques enable physiotherapists to directly support and stabilise joints and muscles without affecting circulation and range of motion.